As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT - answers sticky: PLEASE READ (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT - answers sticky: PLEASE READ
Chain Chomp
PEACE
Re:OT - answers sticky: PLEASE READ 13 Years, 2 Months ago
Rennweg would you be able to test this theory? you're the perfect candidate Then if it turns out to be correct a bug report can be sent to Elektron.

I will probably never again leave the USB cable connected. I wrote support about that, but I doubt they can do anything about it. Just a guess though.
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
You're going to have to plug the USB cable in at some point to put data on your CF card or back up the data on it to your Mac.

The test is dead simple. All you need to do is...

1. Plug your old 'broken' CF card into the OT
2. Plug the OT into the Mac and when the drive mounts just open it up once
3. Close the finder window and use the software scrag mentions to unmount the drive.
4. Test card

If the problem still persist then the card is just plain knackered.
or
If it seems to work fine then scrag could be correct - to test further, just follow the steps above again but at step 3 don't use the software scrag mentioned, then if the card starts exhibiting this odd behaviour again scrag is most likely right. In which case, maybe a couple other Mac users can test (I will when my OT arrives) and Elektron can be notified if a pattern is spotted. They will be able to fix that for sure.
King Koopa
Dalski wrote:
You're going to have to plug the USB cable in at some point to put data on your CF card or back up the data on it to your Mac.

I haven't had any problems with my mac (and have connected and moved things back and forth a number of times), but after checking out this thread have one of these on the way just for good morale....
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Speed-Compact-Flash-Reader/dp/B0028A1PY0
If something were to happen it would be good to have to Make Things Right, and also not bad just to have to mess with samples for other sets and stuff while another card is in the OT.
Boo
I should probably stress that I don't suspect that the creation of these files is the cause of the problem experienced by rennweg - I very much doubt it in fact. This thread just just seemed like a good place to mention the Hidden File Cleaner.

The files created by OS X are called .DS_Store - one is dropped in every folder that you browse. It's a similar concept to Windows' desktop.ini & thumbs.db files. Because the file name starts with a "." they're hidden on a *NIX file system - like OS X - and don't show up in the finder. They're not so invisible on a FAT32 files system though, and can be seen in the Windows Explorer and, I guess, by the OT OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store

Really, I don't think they're dangerous, just a pain in the arse.
King Koopa
bsmith wrote:
Dalski wrote:

I haven't had any problems with my mac (and have connected and moved things back and forth a number of times), but after checking out this thread have one of these on the way just for good morale....
http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-Memory-Reader-FCR-HS219/dp/B00109Y2DQ

Well that's good to know, only reason I thought it may be worth testing is that I'm sure I've read some other threads where people have been having problems with their cards...not to rennwegs extreme but problems nonetheless. Of course it could just be that Transcend cards have a high failure / error rate? Even if we could pinpoint that as an issue it would definitely help the masses when making the decision to choose a CF card for their beloved OT

An external card reader is handy, but that's not going to make a difference based on anything mentioned in the thread - If the card is faulty, it'll still be faulty in an external card reader, or if it's hidden .DS_Store files on the CF causing a problem then they will still make their way onto the CF card if plugged into an external reader Useful for testing if you're suspicious you have a faulty reader in the OT though.
King Koopa
I guess part of the point I was making was that you *don't* have to ever plug a usb cable into the OT.
Those .DS_Store files are in every single directory that osx takes a peek at and are really small - 24k is large for one, I seriously doubt they have anything to do with the problems that have been happening, they're just an index, surely the elektron guys would have shaken problems with that out by now.
If the card is faulty, it'll still be faulty in an external card reader
Well see that is the thing - someone was saying they were able to read a problematic card for the OT in another device - something like this might help at the very least get work stuff safe, and help to isolate where a problem might be. No big.
Chain Chomp
PEACE
You're going to have to plug the USB cable in at some point to put data on your CF card or back up the data on it to your Mac

Well, I meant after I backed up some data from the OT, but maybe my subconscious let me write that and as I just thought about it again I will probably work for quiete some time with the card reader, which I personally think is good to have anyway, just for the worst case and the morale as bsmith said. It is good to recheck things and if you are not sure where the problem really is. As I experienced the worst case (I wasn´t really able to work with the OT anymore) I am definately more careful than someone who didn´t have any problems yet.

The good thing about such an experience is always the moment when it is all good again and I am definately enjoying my work on the OT so much now that my son asked me why I am in such a very good mood.
all of this kind of makes me want to leave mine in the box until the OS is updated....

well one week to go, it's shipping out Fri, fingers crossed
Boo
octatrack, prophet 08, minibrute, SEM, RS-09, A4, Zed 14
hi, i'm new here. just got my octatrack yesterday and i think i'm having trouble with my CF card as well.

i'm getting an error message when i try to drag files to the audio folder:

"the operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found" (error code - 1401)

after getting that error code, all folders on the octatrack drive disappear, but reappear after i unplug then replug in the usb cord

sometimes i get other error messages, but i can't duplicate them right now. it all seems pretty random.

also, when i drag the octatrack drive to the trash to eject it, it says "octatrack is in use" and won't let me eject it, so i just have to pull the plug and get the "drive was not properly ejected, blah blah blah" message

not sure if anyone else out there is experiencing the same thing. i emailed support, so i'll post the response once i get it

EDIT: another error code : "could not be read or written"

also using an imac
Cappy
make sure you are not loading 24 bit samples. i had some of those same issues with 24 bit samples.
Go to top Post Reply